In these free woodworking plans, we walk you step-by-step through building just such a shelf. While the unit is relatively basic, using very few mechanical fasteners, it is a fun project to build, and will show off your knick knacks as well as your woodworking skills.
These free knick knack shelf plans can be built using pretty much any species of wood of your choosing. However, the unit requires some shaker pegs below the bottom shelf, so if you plan to buy the pegs rather than turn them yourself on a woodworking lathe, you'll want to use the same variety of wood stock for the shelves and standards as the pegs.
Download the Free Woodworking Plans to build this knick knack shelf (PDF).
- Woodworking: Moderate
- Finishing: Stain and Polyurethane
Time to Complete
- 5-6 Hours
- Miter Saw or Circular Saw
- Table Saw or Radial Arm Saw with Dado Set
- Cordless Drill or Corded Power Drill
- Router with 3/4" Roundover Bit and Router Table
- Large Clamps
- 2' of 1x8 - Pine, Maple or Oak
- 11' of 1x6 - Pine, Maple or Oak
- 4 Shaker Peg Hooks - Pine, Maple or Oak
- Tape Measure
- Woodworker's Glue
- Finish nails
- Stain of color of choice