However, they don't have to be expensive. In this set of free woodworking plans, we walk you through building a bamboo wind chime. This is a surprisingly easy woodworking project, one that you can build with your kids. Matter of fact, a number of the pictures you'll see in the upcoming pages will be of my twelve-year-old son, C.J., working with me to build our prototype.
Frankly, I don't know if he had more fun than I did.
There are some tasks on some power tools that you'll likely want to perform, but a number of other tasks are safe enough that kids can handle them easily. It is a good opportunity to teach your children proper respect and use of your woodworking tools, and you'll have a very nice addition to your back yard to show for it.
- Woodworking: Easy
- Finishing: Paint or Stain/Polyurethane
Time to Complete
- 3-4 Hours
- Band Saw
- Band Saw Circle Cutting Jig
- Power Drill with 1" paddle bit and 12" extension
- Stationary Router with Router Table and 3/8" radius roundover bit
- Hand Saw
- 2' - 1'x 12' Piece of Hardwood (Oak, Maple, Poplar, etc.)
- 2 - 6'-long Pieces of Bamboo, min. 2" diameter - Available at many Crafts Stores
- 30-pound Monofilament Fishing Line
- 1-2" Metal O-ring
- Super Glue
- Tape Measure
- 4d Finish Nails
- Layout Square