The Bottom Line
- All parts (except knobs and pads) made from machined aluminum and hardened steel
- 5 preset positions for cutting 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" thick stock
- Can use screws from other pocket jig manufacturers
- Included instruction sheet not very clear - more descriptive instructions would be helpful
- Cuts pocket joints for picture frames, T-joints, square corner joints, curve joints, post & rail joints and more.
- Includes 11" face frame clamp, bench mount & portable jigs, 3/8" step drill bit w/stop collar, square drive bits and screws.
- Easily adjusts for thinner and thicker material. No guess work.
Guide Review - PSI Woodworking PHJIG3 Pocket Hole Jig Review
Additionally, the jig is easy and quick to adjust. It takes a moment to get the hang of the adjustment mechanism, mainly because the instruction sheet is a bit hard-to-follow, but once the concept is mastered, this jig is so simple that a ten-year-old (with proper supervision, of course) could use it. The jig will easily make pocket joints for picture frames, mitered frame corner joints, square corner joints, T-joints, curve joints, post and rail joints and pretty much any other type of joint where a pocket joint is appropriate. Some screws are included with the unit, but pocket hole screws from any manufacturer can be used with the jig.
As we noted above, while the included instructions aren't as clear as we like, it should be noted that PSI does give away a free DVD that not only shows how to use the jig but also shows how to build an entire cabinet project.