If you want to email a photo of your woodshop to the Woodworking Guide for a woodshop gallery (or any of the other galleries/photo albums), please follow the guidelines below and be sure to read the terms of About.com's full user agreement.
Note that many project may have very specific dates during which submissions are accepted; if appropriate, these can be found on the project's instructions page.
- For woodshop photo submissions, in your email put your name, where your shop is located, what specific types of projects you like to build, a sentence or two about any special features of your shop, and a sentence saying you have read and agree to About.com's user agreement. Without all of this, your photo will not be used.
- Save the photo as a .jpg file; the maximum width or height of the image should ideally be around 700 pixels (or about 5 inches or 20 cm).
Use resize or resample in a photo editing or graphics package to do this. Find out how, and for a link to a free program to use, in this tutorial on resizing photos from About.com's Guide to Personal Web Pages.
- The overall file size should be no larger than 200KB. If you're using a digital camera, set it on the lowest resolution; if you're scanning a photo, using a resolution of 72 dpi (dots per inch) will help keep the file size small. Web pictures don't need a higher resolution than this. Check if your photo editing program has a "save for web" option; that's the easiest way to get a small file size. If the size of your file is too big, it will be difficult to download.
- In the subject of your email, put Photo Submission and then what it's for, (for instance, Woodshop gallery.
- If you forgot to attach your photo before you hit the "send" button, please resend all the information again. Don't email the photo by itself, otherwise it may be difficult to match it up with your details. The easiest way to avoid forgetting an attachment is to attach the file before you write the body of the email.
- All photos submitted to the Woodworking Guide will be deemed to be available for critique, though comments/critiques will be given randomly and not on every submission.
- The email address to use is email@example.com.
- What Happens with Project Submissions: Project submissions are added to the gallery in the order in which I (the About.com Guide to Woodworking) receive them. How many days it takes to appear in the gallery depends on what else I'm currently doing (I may even be out in the woodshop building a project for a few days), so please be patient. I will send you an email to let you know your photo has been added to the gallery. If your photo isn't suitable for some reason, I will let you know.
- Thanks for following these guidelines, it makes creating the galleries much easier!
Note:By submitting a photo you are certifying that you are the author or sole owner of the material you are submitting to About.com, and that About.com and its licensees may reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works and otherwise use the material for any purpose in any form and on any media. You agree to indemnify About.com for all damages and expenses that may be incurred in connection with the material. For full details, see About's full user agreement.